
Lenore's folks are visiting for the week, and yesterday we all went to see the Elgin Symphony play pieces from Leonard Bernstein. I enjoyed the performance a lot -- the ESO is always fantastic -- though of the three pieces (Overture to Candide, Serenade, and Symphonic Dances from West Side Story), I enjoyed Serenade the least. I clapped heartily when it was over because it was over. I guess I'm just not cultured enough to appreciate all that minor key dissonance. But the violin soloist was amazing, and she played the whole thing without sheet music (or maybe she was just making it up as she went along -- it would have been just as effective). However, I don't really like watching people play the violin because I find all the weaving about and faces they make to be too distracting. Rather, I amuse myself by watching the various percussionists through my binoculars, particularly the timpani player, who was hot and looked just like Gale Harold. Also, the guy playing the triangle -- how do you get that job? Do you have to really try out? How does one seriously conduct triangle tryouts? What do you look for? "No, sorry, too much ting, not enough ling. Next!" Anyway, I think if you're gonna be in an orchestra, the percussion section is where it's at. If you click here, you can listen to a resounding timpani tribute in the 30-second clip of "Bugler's Dream" by Leo Arnaud (a.k.a., the Olympics theme). This clip is nice too and demonstrates timpani pedaling, which is something I noticed the timpanist (I think that name is not butch enough for a drummer) doing last night. Fascinating.
There was a guy piccolo player too. I'm thinking he got a lot of wedgies at band camp.
Anyway... that was Sunday. Saturday we went on an extended nature walk through Trout Park and Fox River Day School (formerly Chicago Jr. School), which was great, and I also got a fair amount of spring cleanup done in the yard, which is always gratifying even if it means my hamstrings will be nonfunctional for the next few days.
In other news I had a beauty day Sat. and got some highlights and a haircut. I went to a new person at the local salon this time and am very happy with the results. The last two times were very disappointing, so it was refreshing to be pleased again. I hate spending all that money only to end up crabby about it. Here I am not sporting the new look, but on my way to shred documents. We were one of six walk-ups and the only wagonload. One must embrace distinction where one can.


2 comments:
You go, girl! Embrace that distinction!
lenore said you sometimes include your used cat litter w/ your shredded documents. hope that wasn't the case w/ that load!!
Post a Comment