I'm still on my beet kick, and recently added some to bread. Check out this bubble-gum-pink dough!

It's pretty enough to wear. Which, in a way, I will be (on my ass), since I ate almost all of this entire loaf by myself. It lightened up a bit after baking.

Next enter this GIANT tomato that I grew in my garden. Note the almonds added to the arrangement for scale (I didn't have a quarter handy!).

Seriously, this is one big love apple, and though it probably would not have qualified in the annual largest tomato contest, it's the biggest tomato I've ever grown my own self, so, to celebrate, I promptly ate it...or, part of it, on a delicious BLT made with the pink bread (lightly toasted). Behold:

Note this is nitrate free bacon, and I did not technically have any "L", so I used kale from my garden, so I guess this is a BKT. Hiding in the background are some sauteed beet greens. I didn't feature them in the photo, because it just looks like seaweed. Mmmmm.
I took the remainder of the tomato to work the next day to share with my co workers. I'm afraid this photo just doesn't do it justice.

Four of us added some to our sandwiches at lunch, and there was still a big chunk left over. Peggy in the mailroom weighed it for me -- in the little bowl with two slices missing, it weighed almost 2 pounds. Yowsa!
These are some cute little eggplants. Delicious too. Babies always taste so fresh and tender.

In other tomato news, I'm going to definitely try this recipe, which one of my facebook friends posted. We had tomato pie and also vidalia onion pie on Edisto, and both were delicious. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.
Tomato Pie
Bake one deep dish pie crust at 425 degrees for 5 minutes.
Place thick slices from 3 (I use more) medium tomatoes in pie shell.
Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and with 1/2 teaspoon basil and 3 tablespoons chopped green onions.
Mix 1/2 cup lite Mayo with 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Spread over top of pie
Bake at 400 for 35 minutes.


5 comments:
I thought I was eating an interesting post paddle meal of fresh berries w/ vanilla yogurt, but eating and reading you blog left me slightly uncreative.
I like the pig face in the mini egg plants.
Next time sprinkle some wheat germ and or ground flax seed on that yogurt.
actually, i think i put some of mom's yummy home made granola on the yogurt - that makes it a little more interesting. i'm also into interesting drinks - craving a cherry bounce and club soda w/ a twist of lime on ice in a tall glass.
Hey, that sounds good! And cherries have lots of antioxidants, right?
Post a Comment