
The only good squirrel is one that's not in my yard. They are digging up bulbs almost as fast as I can plant them. I'm adding to the grape hyacinth crop, and I really wanted to grow some allium flowers, because I think they're just so neat. Plus, as an added bonus, squirrels are not supposed to like them. So MY squirrels dig them up out of spite, tossing them carelessly over their shoulders while smirking in that smirky squirrel way. I tried (expensive!) smelly granules made of blood, garlic, rotten eggs and I dunno what else, and the little bastards thought I was seasoning the bulbs for them. Then I tried cayenne pepper powder. It helped a little, but not enough to prevent destruction. My last effort involved fortified chicken wire over the soil topped with pavers and rocks, hot pepper flakes, mulch, and a fierce turtle statue for good measure. So far, so good.



6 comments:
Paula, that is some funny $%@)!!
Now you really need to get that squirrel catapult. You know, I've never seen such elaborate defenses before. Hope it works.
I may have to add the catapult -- that's the ace in the hole.
the jungle method - dig a deep, slippery hole and cover it w/ branches so they fall in - that'll learn them. on the flip side, golden hand feeds his squirrels peanuts from his back door. Laura posted photos on her blog - back in feb., i think.
My neighbor does too -- I think that's part of the problem. It gives the varmints an unhealthy sense of entitlement!
I still say have the cops drive by every 10 - 15 minutes. What else have they got to do?
Austin spent his vacation time bringing the pavers from my house to Paula's and strategically placing them over the chicken wire.
Then I had to re do it all after re planting a whole new bag of bulbs. For the LAST time. If that doesn't work, then I'm sticking fake flowers in the ground and washing my hands of the whole mess.
Post a Comment